additional descriptionIn the Iron Age, it was a place of refuge, surrounded by earth ramparts. In Roman times there were buildings here, and part of a fourth-century wall is still visible, while at the southern tip of the rocky outcrop, the ruins of a dungeon from the early mediaeval castle can be seen. The castle gave rise to the legend of the four Aymon sons. In 1958, the ramparts were excavated and a group of a dozen carved stones were found, fragments of dismantled funerary monuments, including the famous low-relief of the Trevirian harvester, described by Pliny and Palladius. The lapidary gallery is housed in an annexe of the archaeological museum built to resemble an authentic Roman temple by the architect Constantin Brodsky in 1960, which became a benchmark for modern museum architecture.
[1/5] «Précédent Suivant»