The ruins of the castle of Latour are located on a hill nearby the Musée de la guerre en Gaume museum.
This castle could have been built more than one thousand years ago, because it seems that the first lords of of the place had a defense tower built on the hill at the 9th century, and this is where the name of the village comes from.
The site has always been of military importance because of its position. It was a Roman military outpost before it became a fortress during the Carolingian era. The castle was mentioned in a record archived at Orval abbey in 1222. The La Tour family, the feudal lords, are mentioned in documents since 1066. They held the castle until the mid-15th century, before it was transferred to the Bayer family from Boppard. The buildings were destroyed byu the people of Liege in 1433. After reconstruction it was once again besieged by the Duke of Orleans’ troops in 1542. The wars between France and Spain settled nothing, as in 1658, a year before the Treaty of the Pyrenees was signed, it was destroyed yet again. In 1662, Maximilien Baillet and Marie Coenen bought the seigniorial tithe from François-Ernest, Count of Créhange, giving them the rights to Latour, the ruined castle, the outbuildings and all the county lands. One of the most famous descendants of the Baillet family was Maximilien, born at the Latour castle in December 1737. At 18, he was admitted as a military cadet in the Salm-Salm infantry regiment.
Distinguished during the battles of Prague and Kolin whilst fighting the Prussian and Austrian armies, in 1757 he was appointed Captain of a company of grenadiers. He would continue his unstoppable rise to become the Colonel of a regiment of dragoons, which would take his name, before ending his career as Lieutenant Field Marshal in 1790. In April 1794, General Jourdan’s troops set fire to the castle in retaliation for the exploits of this regiment. The castle has been partially restored and nowadays is a high end hotel-restaurant.
(Source: Castles and historical houses in Gaume and the surrounding area)