This memorial has been erected in honour of the colonial French soldiers who fighted during the Battle of Rossignol on August 22 1914. The colonial soldiers; called the marsouins, were by then considered among the best French soldiers. A comitee for erecting this memorial was founded on initiative of the father of a colonial French soldier who died fighting. It got the sponsor of King Albert 1st and of several Belgian and French personalities. The inauguration ceremony took place with great pomp on the 21st of August 1927 in presence of a great number of people. The Croix de Guerre was also given to the entity of Rossignol for saluting the exceptional befaviour of its inhabitants during the war.