The oldest reference to the “Grande Maison” dates back to 1450 when it belonged to Jehan de Baulrain. It became property of the de Laittres family in the 16th century. As Nicolas de Laittres was appointed provost marshal of Virton on 20 May 1559, the “Grande Maison” is also known under the name “House of the Provost Marshal”. In 1745 the seigniory of the “Grande Maison”, including all its gardens, orchards, hemp-fields and hop fields, was sold by Barons Ignace and François de Longueval to Jeanne-Marie Capitaine. According to the bill of sale, the house was so worn out that Lady Capitaine decided in 1746 to have it rebuilt in roughcast limestone.
This date can still be seen on the lintel of the door of the residence. In 1910 Mr Maurice Lavaux, chief tax inspector, became the owner of the “Grande Maison”. After WW II, the annexes were converted into flats rented to the Canadian servicemen of RCAF Station Marville. In 1995 the proprety changed hands once more. Some parts of the house and its annexes were listed in 2001. The house is the object of careful and continuous restoration.