At the end of the 19th century, Mr De Bruyn, minister of Agriculture, wished to encourage the foundation of agriculture schools in Belgium. Canon Crousse, founder of the “Collège Saint-Joseph” in Virton, decided in 1888 to open an agricultural school for boys. He appealed to the Sisters of Christian Doctrine in Virton to found a similar school for girls. The religious congregation, whose mission was teaching, readily accepted the project. The school, dedicated to the Holy Family, was created on 22nd May 1891. After several relocations, the school settled in 1896 on the “place du kiosque” in Virton (today’s place Georges Lorand). In 1925 the school became a professional school recognised by the State. The curriculum included cooking, washing and ironing classes, hygiene, home economics and home accounting courses. In 1930, the school moved one last time into better-equipped facilities “rue Croix-le-Maire”, buildings it still occupies today. The former premises, where the Domestic Science School was born, accommodate nowadays the offices of the Public Centre for Social Welfare.