Saint Joseph’s College was founded thanks to Mgr Belin, bishop of Namur, Canons Lesquoy and Henry, and Abbot Smal. The plans were drawn by Friar-Architect Maixantis of Malonne. The construction started in 1885 and ended in 1901 with the consecration of the chapel dedicated to Saint Joseph. The first headmaster was Canon Emile Crousse who managed to combine rigorous management with audacity and vision of the future. In 1887, an annex was built to accommodate the school of agriculture and horticulture. This annexe was destroyed by a fire in 1958. Additional buildings were also erected such as a farm, a dairy and a domestic science school. The statue of Saint Joseph, placed on top of the main building in 1886, is a cast iron statue weighing approximately 3 tons. History has it that a local smith ruined his body and soul forging the fence which surrounds the school grounds.