In front of this building dating from 1680 lies a small garden enclosed by a low wall and a wrought-iron fence. History tells us however that in 1570 “the presbytery had been burnt down after previous wars”. Indeed, before 1680, the presbytery was situated in the “rue Basse”.
With the French Revolution, the clergy’s properties were declared national property. The City decided to house the “Commission des hospices civils” in this building. It stayed there until about 1800, when it had to leave the premises to accommodate the gendarmerie squad stationed in Virton. There were even prison cells. In the 19th century, as it was common at that time, the presbytery was oftenused as a school house. The presbytery was restored in 1852 and 1925.