This cross commemorates the granting in 1270 by Louis V, Count of Chiny, of a municipal charter to the City of Virton, known as the Law of Beaumont. This symbol of freedom granted the burghers of Virton the right to rule themselves and to become owners of their lands. It was drawn up in 1182 by William White Hands, archbishop of Reims, for Beaumont-en-Argonne.
During the 18th century, the burgomaster and the aldermen of Virton were elected on this spot on Whit Sunday. The vote was taken verbally or on a show of hands, by a plurality of votes of the burghers, the only inhabitants who had the right to express a vote.