This private house with an adjacent retail space was built in 1909 by contractor Jean Hugen (or Hugin) for Edouard-Narcisse Simonet and his wife Louisa Gilles. This single-volume building has three levels, the highest of which is laid out under a mansard roof. De façade is structured into six vertical sections: three for the actual housing and three larger ones for the commercial part.
Although this house looks like a prosperous 18th-century town mansion, it actually belongs to the once trendy style that used to be called Beaux-Arts style in Brussels. The fabric store and garment workshop didn’t survive World War II. The premises still belong to descendants of Mr and Mrs Simonet. They live in the family house and rent out the retail space to a garment shop. The building has been listed since 1993. It underwent a large-scale restoration.