Castle Maus was built in 1715 by Gilles d’Escanvelle, native of Lion-devant-Dun (France). He was lord of Sorbey, Ethe and Belmont. At the end of the 18th century, Henri-Ignace Casaquy became its owner. From 1803 till 1903, this beautiful building was occupied by the Maus family. One of its members, who was an engineer of the Corps of Bridges and Roads, took part in the excavation of the Mont Cenis Tunnel in 1871. The interior of the building was totally refurbished in order to meet the needs of comfort of that time.
The Combes Law (Separation of the Churches and the State), which was voted in 1905, led a large number of congregations to seek refuge outside France. This was why the Sisters of Saint Charles left Nancy to settle in Castle Maus in Saint-Mard where they set up a nursing home which still exists.