The de Laittres Castle (a.k.a. Baudoux Castle) was built on the foundations of a primitive medieval stronghold. It used to be the seat of the seigniory of Saint-Mard, which successively belonged to the Boucquemont family, the Lutz family (after the name of a lost village located east of Gérouville) in 1435, and the de Laittres family from 1468 till 1842. Today’s castle is a fortified house surrounded by a moat which used to be filled with the waters of the Vire. This building with a rectangular plan is flanked by two towers, one on the northern angle and the other on the southern one. Anne de Custine, widow of Evrard de Laittres, had it built in 1589. The roughcast rubble masonry, the limestone string course along the first floor, and the architectural ornamentation are typical of a seigniorial home of Lorraine where the family came from. The date of “1589” occurs three times on the string course and was confirmed by dendrochronoligical analysis of the timber. After several restorations and transformations during the 17th and 18th centuries, the last work was completed by Eugène de Gerlache in 1842. The castle however still regularly undergoes restorations.