Martin Fountain used to be the local wash house. Its existence was tightly linked to the railway station of Saint-Mard. The façade of finely matched Bajocian limestone is pierced with three high openings with semi-circular arches which give access to three washtubs whose water is supplied by the generous flow of a nearby source. The rest of the building, erected in “pierres des champs” (stones found in the fields), is covered with a slate hip roof. Inside, in each corner, a bench seat is embedded in the wall.
On the walls, short inscriptions of names (Hucuet, Lepage, Darge) and dates (1877, 1880, 1920) remind us of the days of this building’s former use.
The water supply tap bears witness to the industrial heritage of the village. The very same source also supplied water to the steam engines of yore when Saint-Mard station used to be a marshalling yard. This wash house has been a listed monument since 1993.