The Saint Martin’s church of Latour used to be a chapel linked to a castle dating back to at least 1570. It became a parish chapel in 1790. The more ancient parts are the choir, the ante-choir and a chapel with three Gothic arches. The long nave seems to have been added in the 17th century just as the tower which bears the date of 1684. The basis of the high altar is a reused Gallo-Roman block of stone. It is a “Four-Gods-Stone” on a face of which one can see Minerva leaning on her shield.
A great number of these blocks have been included in high altars of churches in the Province of Luxembourg. The gods usually represented are Apollo, Mercury, Minerva, Juno, Vulcan and Hercules. Those parallelepipedic blocks would be surmounted by a column on the top of which would stand a statue of Jupiter smiting an “anguipède” (a snake-legged monster).