The oldest parts of the castle of Gomery, including the chapel, date back to the second half of the 12th century. The years 1601 and 1604, respectively carved on the cornice of the south façade and on a gargoyle of the keep, prove that the building underwent some major changes at that time. The castle, initially a quadrangular building with four corner towers built around a square courtyard, used to be surrounded by a moat. Access was possible by a drawbridge between the keep and the outbuilding. The castle has been owned by the de Gerlache family since 1726. This family counts many famous members: baron Etienne-Constantin de Gerlache, president in 1830 of the “Congrès national” (Belgium’s first legislative assembly), baron Adrien de Gerlache de Gomery, commander of the Belgian Antarctic expedition aboard the Belgica (1897-1899), and his son, baron Gaston de Gerlache, who led another Belgian Antarctic Mission and established the King Baudouin Antarctic Base ( 1957-1959). In 1817, the south wing of the castle was razed to the ground. Generation after generation, the north wing and the chapel have been the object of continued restoration. This castle is among the most ancient ones of Gaume.