Ruins of the Castle of Montquintin (Major Heritage of Wallonia)
Louis II had this castle built in order to protect his boundaries from different attackers. As for the date of the construction, it is not precise and could be situated between the 11th and the 13th centuries.
The square building had four angles towers. The external walls were surrounded by deep ditches, moats, supplied by sources.
The castle suffered from many attacks and was many times destroyed and rebuilt. Charles d'Ambroise in 1480, the Duke of Orleans in 1542, Turenne in 1647, the French in 1657 and General Jourdans revolutionaries in 1794, all invaded it and plundered it. We shouldn't forget neither about damage caused during the two world wars.
Many lords succeeded each other but the most famous one is unquestionably the bishop Jean-Nicolas de Hontheim.
He is remembered as Febronius, the pseudonym under which he wrote his 1763 treatise On the State of the Church and the Legitimate Power of the Roman Pontiff which offered Europe the "foremost formulation of the arguments against papal absolutism in Germany." It was translated in many languages (French, Portuguese, German and Latin.)
The castle is now the property of the district of Rouvroy which has given it by long lease to an historian who has restored it little by little. Also to visit, the country life museum (Musée de la vie paysanne), in a small farm house from the 18th century, situated nearby.
It was Bishop de Hontheim, Lord of Montquintin and a protester, who had the farm built from the tithe of Montquintin in 1765.
This small tricellular farm, being inscribed in the medieval tripartition church-farm-castle, is a perfectly preserved example of a popular rural architecture in the Gaume region. The main building has a kitchen with its ancient furniture and the hearth equipped with all the household cleaning staffs, as well as the pèle with the alcove and the closet.
The reconstruction of a class room reminds the memory of the former school of Montquintin settled in the farm of the tithe at the 19th century. The bard and the cowshed with the hayloft on top of it present the way of rural transport, the agricultural tools, the yokes and pieces of harness, implements concerning the work of hemp, the big washing, pork slaughter, agriculture and the food preservation.
Offering a unique viewpoint on the countryside of Gaume and its three cuesta, the whole village with its castle and its small Romance church has been recognized Major Heritage of Wallonia.